Monday, July 16, 2007

Marrying Dee Dub All Over Again

Some of my 3 readers may be familiar with a singer/songwriter (I feel so Nashville just saying that) named Derek Webb. I am actually more likely to pay to see his wife, Sandra McCracken, perform than I am him, but nonetheless I really enjoy his music. But I digress...

Sarah has been getting this magazine called Paste for a while now, and we rather enjoy it, especially the CD that comes with it each month. It is usually flavored with various artists who are, as the magazine says, "showing signs of life in music, film, etc." A few months ago, Derek Webb had a song make it onto the CD entitled "I want to marry you all over again" and we think quite highly of it. In fact, Sarah and her mom were even looking for Derek's new CD this week while we were on vacation. So it turns out...

We were in Nashville on Sunday night. We left the beach on Saturday and drove to Birmingham where we stayed with some good friends (and consequently had one of the best breakfasts we've had in a long time) and then headed on to Nashville on Sunday. When we arrived, we went to a PCA church in town that meets on Sunday evenings at 5pm. Sat down, began singing, talked to Kevin Twit and his family who were seated right behind us, and lo and behold who sits down next to us but Derek and Sandra Webb. We met them during the 'greet your neighbor' portion of the service (i had previously met him and had a great conversation which is immortalized in my mind, and which probably left his in the few minutes following). Anyway, in my mind, it was a re-meet, but who's keeping score? They just had their first baby 11 days ago and this church outing was their first time away from the baby (his mom was in town to help out). We didn't ask the baby's name, but we discussed it and decided that it is probably something cool. Church continued and we departed and that was that.

Given that Sarah is in Nashville for the whole week (i flew back today for work), we went by the almightly Kroger on the way to where Sarah is staying for the week. We were doing our shopping, picking the items that she knew would get eaten by weeks end so as not to waste. And who comes prancing by but the 5'4" Dee Dub (i figure when you know someone as well as I do by this point, you can give him a nickname). Sure enough Derek was also at the Kroger picking up a few essentials. Of course, his essentials were cooler than our essentials. His=assorted Naked fruit juices, probably organic Ours=4 peaches, 1 potato, and a yogurt cup and probably other mismatches in like fashion. We briefly said hi and I made some appropriate comment about the baby waking up, and we said our goodbyes and parted ways.

Naturally, I began to sing the "I want to marry you all over again" song in my head as I had spent the better part of the last few hours with the author. We checked out, right behind DW, and my world nearly collapsed on me. You see, I get pretty star struck pretty easily. And even though Derek is not the biggest name in any circles, he and his wife are kind of personal heroes to me. You know, reformed people doing their thing, making good music, what's not to like? And what's more, I had been in the midst of his and her coolness, and didn't so much as act like they were a big deal. I didn't reference the previous conversation that we had (where his life was changed, as you remember from earlier in the story), nor did I do anything that you probably would expect me to do. And here we are, moments from leaving the Kroger probably not to see DW again for a long time, or maybe ever, who cares. And I do it, I start whistling the song. (in whistling notes) "I want to marry you all." I caught myself. He was 5 feet in front of me, but he had to have heard. How could he not have? I am such an idiot. With perhaps 15 seconds left in the game, i fouled out, all 5 fouls at one time. I had a 1 ft putt to win the tournament, and I 3 putted. Why do I do things like this? Why am I such a dooflinky?

Please don't answer the previous 2 questions.

5 Comments:

At 9:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's about time.

 
At 2:35 PM , Blogger courtney jewett said...

did you ask him if he remembers me?

 
At 6:56 PM , Blogger jonathangraf said...

Did you know that I went to church with Sandra and that her mom sold my parents their house and her brother did electrical work when we finished the basement? You are a dooflin-whatever.

 
At 6:42 PM , Blogger Lauren said...

that is absolutely hysterical.

glad to know you're a sandra fan too.

and the baby's name is rhodes.

 
At 4:31 PM , Blogger char said...

well hello brent. sad we missed you guys at church - we were visiting Westminster/partying up in NYC.
charissa

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home